Server Maintenance This Week. ×

.jpg files 'bloat' when importing to FMP

This topic is 8746 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When I import .jpg files into a Filemaker container field the size of the images increases to about 13 times the actual size as it enters the database. I have my document preferences set to 'store compatible graphics'. And when I import, I make sure that 'store only a reference to the file' is unchecked.

I am trying to publish a database of images as a gallery online. Each record contains 5 images (4 at 8k each and 1 at 16k to 18k = a total of 58k). When I import the images into FMP, the size of a single record in the DB is almost 800K and every record I add thereafter (containing the 5 images) adds another 730K to the total file size! There is very little overhead in the file as it was created with minimal fields (about 20), 1 layout and no scripts.

Seeing as how I need to upload this file to my ISP and I wanted to have 1,000 plus records I need to find out what is going on. If I enter 1,000 or so records (with 5 images each) as it is, I will end up with a DB that is almost a gigabyte. I won't be able to upload it and won't be able to afford the hosting cost.

As one of these images is served through a format file to web browser, the size reduces back to normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It seems you would have the same problem for any image you import into a FMP container field.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Cael.

Try entering the path to the image in a field instead of the actual image itself in a container. That way the data base will only contain text and be a fraction of the size which of course means a faster search function. Your image source on the HTML should obviously point towards this feild.

Any probs, [email protected]............

This topic is 8746 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.