Server Maintenance This Week. ×

OS X Mail text not pasting into a text field

This topic is 5997 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In OS X Mail, when you select a message in the message list (the top pane, above the message viewing area), performing a Copy copies the mail header and message. I use this to ad hoc migrate Mail messages into a text field in FileMaker (using Paste or Paste Text Only). Today when I tried to do either paste method, the cursor just blinks in the text field. When I paste into TextEdit, the text shows up. The same thing happens in Developer 7, so I'm thinking it might be some character in the clipboard from the Mail Copy. I've tried on a number of different email messages. Any ideas? Thanks.

Bob

Hi Bob,

If a file stops working, i.e. doing something that you had been able to do earlier, then you need to look at what has taken place since it stop.

If you have made no structure changes to the file, then I would suspect that you have corruption. However, some times if you just restart the computer, a problem like this will go away.

Other things to check, verify the font being used in the file, is loaded in the computer. You can do this by check the fonts using the utility Font Book, you will find it in the Applications in Tiger, not sure where you will find it Leopard.

And then, there is also a possibility this is a BUG in either of the two, and if you can't shake it, report it to both companies.

Lee

Edited by Guest

Lee, thanks, great advise. I just discovered that the issue is not specific to FileMaker. I tried to paste the data into TextWrangler (a free, OS X text editor) so I could perhaps see if there was some data that FM was choking on -- however TextWrangler would not accept the paste either (TextEdit does accept the paste as I mentioned). I'll update with any useful new info.

Bob

This topic is 5997 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.