Turning off Browse

This topic is 8619 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

They say that when you are specifying passwords in Filemaker, you can turn off the ones you want. Unfortunately, I've tried and can't turn off Browse not for anything. I can understand why this would be difficult, because you are disabling a vital function of the database. Some quick questions:

1) When you turn of browse, and someone logs in with that password, what do they see?

2) If browse is turned off in one database (for a particular password), but it is enabled in another related database, can the user then access a field and modify a record?

3)How do you turn off the browse? *s*

I'm doing a database where I want to keep user information. But I don't want the user to see other users' information, only his own. So I was thinking of disabling browse, then creating another database and relating it whereby they could find their information (it will be an online database so can do an automatic find by ClientUserName), and edit it, but if per chance they tried to access the main database, they can't browse. Can someone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

Whoa! I think you are assuming that you HAVE to turn off the Browse mode to accomplish what you want to do. I don't think this is what you need.

In general, you can control what a database user can see by hiding the status area and locking it and not allowing the user into layout mode. In this way you prevent the user from changing layouts. This combined with setting available menu commands to none is all you need. If all editing functions and record access are then provided by scripts, you can control what the user sees and what records they can access.

The need to turn off browse is like assuming that you MUST pound in that nail with a screwdriver! wink.gif -bd

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

Whoa! I think you are assuming that you HAVE to turn off the Browse mode to accomplish what you want to do. I don't think this is what you need.

In general, you can control what a database user can see by hiding the status area and locking it and not allowing the user into layout mode. In this way you prevent the user from changing layouts. This combined with setting available menu commands to none is all you need. If all editing functions and record access are then provided by scripts, you can control what the user sees and what records they can access.

The need to turn off browse is like assuming that you MUST pound in that nail with a screwdriver!
wink.gif
-bd

Thanks! I didn't look at it from that angle, but then why do they give you the option to turn off browse? And another question, if the user 'illegally' accesses the database (meaning not through a webpage, but directly through filemaker) then which record will they see? Most likely they will see the first record which may not be their own?

It would be good to get this clarified. Thanks for the reply though. It was very informational.

This topic is 8619 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.