Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Get REAL User name via external authentication

This topic is 5974 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Well, not with me.

I've got two identically setup AD accounts (with exception of the First name). One account always loges in like expected with e.g. JohnMiller and the other Mark Miller (with space). This is upsetting my preference DB when retrieving the Users Profile.

This only occurs when the Users PC (Windows) has got the Network login info (AD Info) entered in they’re User account settings on the PC.

Is this a Bug?

Best regards

Ron

Well first, I'd use a standardized and uniform structure for my AD Account names. jsmith or mmiller or tsmith or what ever.

Get(AccountName) from within FileMaker Pro will return that string if that is the Account from AD used to authenticate to the domain at log-on.

If External Server Authentication is employed, then that is the credential that FileMaker Server will use to authenticate the user.

What problem is it exactly that you are having here? Will the user not authenticate with the AD credentials? What OS is running on FIleMaker Server's machine?

There is additional information about this in the External Server Authentication Tech Brief from FileMaker, Inc.

Steven

it sounds from what you're explaining that the "bug" might not be in retrieving the account name or the user name from the FM prefs, but in what you do with it. FM faithfully gets the account name from the windows login. No bug there. The user name gets retrieved from the registry, no bug there either.

What is it you're doing with the data you get in your user table?

I need to know the User name logged in. Not Windows login nor FM preference User name. Does Filemaker not do this???

I use a uniform structure for the AD's.

The user is not logged in a Domain. Only uses shares and printers on the Server, so the user Settings are stored with his account on the Windows Box. But even changing the Windows Username... no chance. Still the same occurrence!

Ron

I need to know the User name logged in. Not Windows login nor FM preference User name. Does Filemaker not do this???

On the Windows platform, when using External Server Authentication, the name under which a user access the database is the same credential Account name used to log on to Windows network. To override this, the user should hold down the SHIFT key when accessing FileMaker Server. This will produce the credential dialog box. At that time the user can enter other credentials that can be authenticated either internally by FileMaker Pro or externally by FileMaker Server.

Steven

This topic is 5974 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.