Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Another FM7/Intel compatability ?.....

This topic is 5976 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have an Xserve, G5, a couple iMacs and a couple EMACs on a LAN running FM7. I need to replace a machine and want to buy another iMac. The last iMac I bought was Tiger based and has had no problem running FM7 on the network. I want to buy another one now, and am not sure if a new iMac running Leopard will give me all kinds of headaches getting it to run on FM7. I read something about "Rosetta",but I don't know what that is. I would upgrade to a newer version of FM, but buying a 10 license pack isn't cheap, and business hasn't been so hot lately, so I'd like to hang on to the cash if I can at least for the time being. Any input for a noob is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I'd be spending the money updating FMP 7 to FMP 8.5 or 9.0. FMP 7.0 was great but there are a LOT of bugs and issues that have been corrected. Not to mention the great features.

If you plan to stick with FMP 7, look for second-hand G5-based computers, or a WindOS box.

I would agree with Vaughan. If you don't upgrade FileMaker you'll be running an unsupported software configuration. Do you really want to trust your data to that? Also, why would you need to buy 10? Couldn't you just buy one client license for the new iMac? I know, Server 7 and Client 9 is kind of a weird combo, but I don't know that there's anything wrong with it (?). It's likely better than running 7 on Leopard.

As far as Rosetta goes, it is amazing what it does, but it does so at a price. You are wasting approx. half the speed of your CPU running anything less than FileMaker 8.5 on an Intel chip. Try 9; it will be so much faster.

With 9 on your new iMac, I imagine you'll eventually start finding reasons to upgrade the rest, Tab Objects, script Variables, the List() function; the list goes on...

• Newbies

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't really think that I could run Server 7 with Client 9. But if that's the case, I could upgrade one license at a time, w/out having to bite the bullet for all the licenses at once.

I'm not the one who wrote and setup my DB and network, and while I've been able to add a machine or tweak things here and there, I just don't have the experience w/ FM (from a programming and setup standpoint)to have the confidence to start tearing into things hoping they'll work :badidea:

When I do upgrade to 9, are there any network settings I need to set, or will 9 just overwrite 7 and copy all my settings pretty seamlessly?

Thanks again for your expertise :worship:

It sounds like you have a spare FM7 license (or two). If you have no spare licenses then you would be committed to buying FM9 now any way.

If you're really strapped for cash then hunt around ebay for a G5 iMac, or a Mac Mini, or anything pre-Intel. FM9 is universal.

• Newbies

It sounds like you have a spare FM7 license (or two). If you have no spare licenses then you would be committed to buying FM9 now any way.

If you're really strapped for cash then hunt around ebay for a G5 iMac, or a Mac Mini, or anything pre-Intel. FM9 is universal.

I don't have any spares. I was just going use the license the bad machine has on it and transfer everything over to the new machine. I was just going to target the new one, which would copy the entire HD over, taking the FM license with it.

I was checking out craigslist for some used stuff that would be more compatable (at least on craigslist the stuff is local and I can check it out in person) but I always feel rather uneasy about buying used equipment. I like when I can buy a machine and put Apple care on it and not have to worry about the machine grenading in 2 weeks!

You guys have given me some good advice. I'll keep you posted. :thankyou:

This topic is 5976 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.