Multiple Portals--One Key?

susan

This topic is 8225 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to create a grid-type layout with Grade (K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) across the top and 16 different tests students take down the side. I want to be able to enter a Student_ID and display that student's test results throughout the grid.

Each student has a unique ID, and each grade also. I have a calc. field which combines the two and 6 relationships based on these fields. I have 6 portals based on the relationships, all sitting side-by-side, displaying the test score. When I enter Student-Grade1 I get the scores for 1st grade, Student-Grade2 gives me 2nd grade, etc. What I need, however, is to be able to enter 1 Key and get all the scores in the 6 portals at the same time. How is this done?

Thanks.

Susan

You need to base the six relationships (6 portals) on six different calculation fields, all based upon your Student_ID field. The calculation fields might look like:

Key1 (calculation, text) = Student_ID & "-" & "Grade1"

Key2 (calculation, text) = Student_ID & "-" & "Grade2"

Key3 (calculation, text) = Student_ID & "-" & "Grade3"

Key4 (calculation, text) = Student_ID & "-" & "Grade4"

Key5 (calculation, text) = Student_ID & "-" & "Grade5"

Key6 (calculation, text) = Student_ID & "-" & "Grade6"

The important concept here is that the second part of the compound key, the grade selected, is fixed for each calculation, not taken from a field.

-bd

Thank you-that pretty much works. A new problem, though, is that the data for 2nd grade comes in in the wrong order. (I only have test results for grades 1 and 2 so far). At first I didn't have records for every test for grade 2. I figured out that I need to have a record for each test for each student, even though that student may not have taken every test. I created the missing records, but those tests get added to the bottom of the grade 2 portal. Does the info come in in the order it was entered? I went back to my Tests.fp5 file and sorted the records the way I wanted them, but it still doesn't come in the way I need it. I really appreciate your help.

Susan

This topic is 8225 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.