Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Vista CPU Usage

grumbachr

This topic is 5867 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm interested to know what percent of CPU cycles others are experiencing when using FileMaker Pro 9 (Client) on Vista or XP but Vista is perferred. Its connecting to FMPSA running on Windows 2003 Server

We are using a unique setup with virtual machines and we are trying to figure out why FMP seems to just sit and eat up 100% of the CPU cycles when it's just open and not being used.

Each virtual machine is configured as a single core 2.6 Ghz Xeon 1.5GB RAM. We gave a virtual machine 2 processors Dual Core 2.6 Ghz and it sits idle at %50 cpu usage.

By contrast to the my MacPro 3.0 GHz is connected to the same server and while idle is only using 0.1% CPU cycles. and FireFox is 5.2% while typing the message.

Just trying to gather info right now to see where we might need to focus our attention.

Thanks in advance for any info.

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

I am having the same problem. Below is my set up:

FileMaker Pro 9v3 Advanced on Windows Vista with all updates installed - Lenovo ThinkPad t61p, 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory

FileMaker 9v2 Server Advanced on Windows 2003 SP2 - Dell PowerEdge 2600, 3.06 GHz Dual Xeon

When I launch FileMaker 9 Advanced client on my Vista laptop the app loads with a typical cpu load. If I create a new local database, there is minimal cpu usage even while zipping through records. Once I open a database hosted on the server, my cpu immediately jumps to 50% and stays there. Luckily, I have dual core so I am able to function, otherwise my system would be inoperable.

I began looking into the problem by disabling Vista features with no avail. From what I am able to determine, there is a process running that is waiting to receive updates from the server. The process is only started once a request is made to connect to a server. Once the process starts it seems to go into a semi-infinite loop and therefore max out a single core.

I will attempt to install SP1 for vista to see if that resolves the issue.

• Newbies

As a test I uninstalled FMP Advanced and reinstalled it. Prior to installing any of the updates, the cpu usage was typical when viewing a database hosted on a server. Once I installed the v2 update, the cpu maxed out. Same goes for v3.

Has anyone else had this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem, 9.0v1 is fine but either the v2 or v3 updates max the Processor and the performance degrades to a point where I'm spending more time watching egg timers than getting anything productive done.

A Google search led me to believe that perhaps the Nvidia graphics drivers were to blame but mine are as up-to-date as they can be. I haven't dared venture near SP1 yet, in part due to rumours about Nvidia driver incompatibilities.

Maybe it's time to rethink and step back (up) to XP... :

This topic is 5867 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.