Serial Number Woes

This topic is 8597 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

The steps that I followed:

1. Choose File menu > Define Fields

2. In the Define Fields dialog box, I double-clicked on the field that I wanted to set as a serial number

3. In the Options, I clicked on the Auto-Enter tab and checked the Serial Number box.

4. I set the Next Value to 5 and Increment BY to 1

5. I clicked OK then DONE and tried creating new files.

I tried it using a number field and I tried it using a text field but neither worked. I was able to make it work before when it was in FileMaker 4, but when I converted the database to Filemaker 5, it stopped working.

Also, I put the database on a NT 4.0 box and am using the NT box as the server. I have copied the database to a seperate file to work on it with a seperate PC. Three PCs are accessing the database. Each PC has it's own Filemaker 5 license and the server has Filemaker Server 5.

I am an advanced developer of Microsoft Access, but a newbie to Filemaker. So far, it seems like a great program. Anyway, any help would be great! Thanks -- Jarrod

Just a thought or two regarding basic troubleshooting:

- Were you actually able to create new records? You mentioned you tried but didn't say you you were able to.

- Is your test db local or hosted? Try using it locallly if hosted and see what happens. - Check access level or passwords if any?

Just a thought or two regarding basic troubleshooting:

- Were you actually able to create new records? You mentioned you tried but didn't say you you were able to.

- Is your test db local or hosted? Try using it locallly if hosted and see what happens. - Check access level or passwords if any?

• Newbies

I am able to create new records, but the serial number does not function at all. Actually, I can manually change it, but it does not automatically increment from the last record.

I will try copying the db to a local pc and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the tips! Keep em commin!

• Newbies

BRAVO!! That was the problem!! I was trying to use the same field that was converted from Filemaker 4. As soon as I deleted it and recreated it, it worked fine! Thanks to everyone and especially Madhatter!

Good lesson to learn about conversions. Sometimes the lessons learned the "hard way" are best remembered!

Thanks again! Jarrod

This topic is 8597 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.