Problem with Data conveying when input in Admin account.

damion

This topic is 5881 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello everyone. This is not only my first post, but also my first real time using FileMaker or creating a database in general. With that said, please bear with me if I ask lots of questions to muddle through my current problem.

I am currently the admin and hosting a database off of my Apple G5 using OSX 10.4. There are 4 or 5 other users that are accessing the database, all but 1 are on Apple's as well.

As I was developing the database, I would often flip back to the browse mode to test what I was doing with garbage data, like "test here", or "do I work", silly stuff like that.

Well, I never deleted that test data from the database. For whatever reason, none of the users can see the data that I input. I can still see it there in my browse mode, though, in my admin acct. Additionally, I had made a read/write only account for myself, and when accessing the database from my computer, I can still see my test data. When I log into the database with my non-admin acct on another computer, I cannot see my test data.

So, my data is only showing on my computer.

All of the other data seems to be conveying properly.

My question (after all of that) is:

What am I missing or what setting have a botched up to not have my test data be a part of the database viewable by all? At some point, I will need to input real data into the database, and having it not viewable to everyone is a really big problem.

Thanks,

Damion

What is your setup? I am going to assume that you are running Peer to Peer. Are you always opening up the file on your laptop first and then having the other users 'Open Remote' into the file?

• Newbies

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, we are running on a peer-to-peer setup. I am hosting the database on my G5, and working on it / hosting it from my admin account.

I have always been logged on when others access the database. It has only been active for the last 48 hrs, and I have only restarted the system or software when others are not accessing the system, or before anyone is in the office. Also, the database is not going to really start to be used for another month, so most of the access that has been happening has only been to check what I've done with my users and make sure they are able to do what I hoped they would be able to do.

Thanks,

Damion

Edited by Guest

HAve you checked trying to log on from a different computer with your Admin account?

Also for your non-admin accounts, double check the privilege sets.

• Newbies

HAve you checked trying to log on from a different computer with your Admin account?

I just logged in on another computer w/ my admin acct. I saw the changes that were made by the users, not the changes that I made as admin.

Now, when I log back in with my admin login on my (the host) computer, the notes I had originally made while in admin are now gone. It is very odd. I am making additional notes now, and seeing if another login can see them.

Also for your non-admin accounts, double check the privilege sets.

I used the default privilege sets for all of the users, read only, read/write & admin (for me only).

Seems like everything is working like it should now, for no particular or discernable change made on my end. I am grateful it is working properly, but I'll drive myself batty trying to figure out what was off.

Thanks,

Damion

This topic is 5881 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.