Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Performance Issues FM6 to FM9

This topic is 5904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I recently upgraded a 74 file FM6 solution to FM9 maintaining the 74 files. I'm having problems with the startup time. In FM6 the startup was around 30-90 seconds dependant on hardware, and now it can take up to 10 minutes.

a) Is there anything that can be done to reduce this time without reauthoring the dbs to reduce the amount of files?

:) is there a formula for working out hardware requirements as you increase the file count?

c) Are there any known performance issue when converting from FM6 to FM9 formats.

Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Regards

Jake

Are there any known performance issue when converting from FM6 to FM9 formats.

Indeed you have just stumbled upon one of them the clutteredness of the filereferences.

Honestly can't your solution be considered simple, and this is therefore an urgent read before getting any further:

http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/fm7_converting.pdf

--sd

• 2 weeks later...

JakeyBoy

If it takes this long to open the database, I would first check your file references. This is the place where Filemaker stores the locations of the external files. This feature was 'behind the scenes' in FM6 but you know have access to it.

Most likely, there are references to files that essentially say to your solution 'Search the internet for file XX.fp7' then search the local hard drive for the file.

You must clean up all the File References to remove 'out dated' references, in EACH file in your solution.

Jerry

This topic is 5904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.