Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Training Series exercises 1.5.1 & .2 ?s

This topic is 5898 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

1) In ex. 1.5.1, during data export (to .csv), the instructions don't state whether to use Current Layout or Current Table as the data source, however the instructions say to include the "__kp_Meeting" field, which is (only) in Current Layout.

2) After globally changing "2007" to "2006" (used in meeting dates) of the .csv file, using a text editor, I'm asked to import the file back into the FM file I exported from (in 1.5.1), matching the "__kp_Meeting" field and updating the records. Since there are no field names exported in the data, I'm wondering how I'm supposed to match the data to the kp field -- is it by going back to the source file and notating values in that field? I have no problem sleuthing that out; I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some more automated method.

Bob

I don't believe that you're missing anything. The point of the exercise is to show you how FM's Import has the option to update records if you match a field value (such as the primary key).

In "real" life, you would have field names in your source file (it might be another FM file) which makes this option easier since you'd see the field names. This is a useful entry-level synchronization tool.

This topic is 5898 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.