UPC-Bar Codes & FileMaker

This topic is 8582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The question is not which are compatible with FM (almost all are), but which are compatible with the hardware you are running FM on. Wands and scanners must plug into the machine you are using in some fashion. In the case of a Mac this can be via the ADB or USB bus. In the case of the PC there are two keyboard bus standards plus serial port devices. I think the preferred approach is to use the keyboard bus devices. This class of devices uses a "wedge". A wedge is a piece of electronics that inserts itself on the keyboard bus and makes scanned items appear as if they were typed on the keyboard (this is why anything that can do this is compatible with FM). The actual wedge electronics might be a separate small box with the wand or scanner and keyboard plugged into it or the wedge electronics can be built completely into the hand held wand or scanner. Some of the nicer scanners allow you to program preambles and postscript to the actual scanned label. This is nice to use to trigger a script after a scan (by programming a Command 1, Command 2, etc. to trigger one of the first 10 scripts in the ScriptMaker List.

Most of the devices you would select will read about 10 of the most common bar codes including UPC-A, UPC-B, Code 39, etc. There are a few things to watch out for. A lot of "Mac compatible" wedges try to draw too much power from the ADB and overload its capability. I've had to retrofit external power to some of these (I'm an electrical engineer, don't try this at home!).

I'm running long and just scratching the surface. If you need further information I can be found at:

Brent Dussia

Live Oak Systems

760.728.7046 voice

760.728.2655 fax

This topic is 8582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.