Using DOS Font on FMP

This topic is 8572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

We are using an EPSON TM-U210PD receipt printer to print receipt. We found it slow when using a windows font and the quality is not that clear coz' it's only 9 pin.

Is it possible to print the receipt with the same speed & quality of a DOS print-out?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Garry S.

The general answer is no. A 9 pin printer just can't reproduce the quality you get from a 300 dpi laser printer. I am not familiar with the Epson printer you mentioned, but some simple printers make a good attempt at rendering WYSIWYG (Seiko label printers are a good example) and some default to built-in fonts ignoring most of WYSIWYG. This largely depends on how much effort the printer manufacturer has put into developing a suitable printer driver. The fonts that look best on 9 pin printers are those tuned up to deal with the limitations of the limited resolution (maybe supplied with the printer driver?).

I would call tech support at the Epson division that produces the printer and find out its capabilities and get a recommendation on how best to implement your application.

-bd

You could try sending ASCII text to the printer. I dunno how to get FMP to do that... Probably you'd set the printer driver up as a non-graphics or "text only" or "generic text" printer or something similar. This might force it to use the built-in font, but of course you loose the option to control how the text will appear. It'll probably default to some cheesy mono-spaced type style.

Regarding the "quality of a DOS printout" -- some people might consider that an oxymoron! After all, that's why the Macintosh was invented. ;-)

This topic is 8572 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.