Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Separation model, data on flash drive

This topic is 5870 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am curious to see if anyone has attempted to use a complete separation with the data file being stored on a flash drive.

The reason for this question is that it is for a runtime solution that a person (teachers) would only use for a short duration of time (about 3 weeks) each year. This setup would allow the teacher to take their data home and back to school during the short time they need to use the runtime.

I have experimented with this setup and it seems to be stable. I use a automated backup routine that does create a backup data file on the hard drive(s) as a precaution.

Any thoughts or experiences to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late in noticing this topic but I have a question:

How does one specify the filepath of the database.fp7 that's built as part of the runtime solution? I've been working under the assumption that the database portion of the separation model had to be on the same path as the executable.

With FMP 9, this can be accomplished with a new script step (open manage data sources)

The end user can change/add additional file references using this step. This will allow them to use a flash drive in lieu of the traditional location

It is essential however, that you prepare the end user to NOT change the name for the data (the top line of the dialog). They may add additional file references but they should NOT change the source name (otherwise it could break your scripts/etc)

Greg

This topic is 5870 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.