Store only a reference to the file

This topic is 8631 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database used as a dokumentation db of ours digital- and screenprint. It is on 7000 pages. On each pages there is a containerfield with a screendump (jpg) of the image.

We are a couple of peorple using the db and some of them forget to choose "Store only a reference to the file". That makes the db very large and very slow.

Is there a way to prevent pictures from being embedded i the file?

Or is the a search a can do to find the "evil" fields?

quote:

Originally posted by jesperv:

I have a database used as a dokumentation db of ours digital- and screenprint. It is on 7000 pages. On each pages there is a containerfield with a screendump (jpg) of the image.

We are a couple of peorple using the db and some of them forget to choose "Store only a reference to the file". That makes the db very large and very slow.

Is there a way to prevent pictures from being embedded i the file?

You could create a script that steps the user through the import process, and which includes the "Store Only Reference" option selected. This way the user does not have control over that item.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

quote:

I just dont know how to do that.

Get a book on FMP Scripting, it will greatly simplify your life.

Basically you manually go through the import procedure. This saves it, until you change it. Then create a script with the Import Picture step and it will allow you to set the setting that you want, like storing only the reference.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

Please help me a little more. With an example script maybe. I dont know where to find a book on FMP Scripting i Denmark and the manual dont give me a lot of help.

Once again: What I would like is to set it as default to "store only a reference to the file" when I insert a picture in a container.

quote:

Please help me a little more. With an example script maybe. I dont know where to find a book on FMP Scripting i Denmark and the manual dont give me a lot of help.

Go online, Amazon.com has tons of good books on FMP.

quote:

Once again: What I would like is to set it as default to "store only a reference to the file" when I insert a picture in a container.

Hmm, this was a bad call on my part. It looks like the Store Reference option is only available at the time that you actually specify the filename.

You may have to use some outside scripting language like Applescript or WinBatch to solve this problem.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

This topic is 8631 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.