Server Maintenance This Week. ×

The very basics

Rosie

This topic is 5841 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is my very first look at XSL files and I need to establish the basics. I have some files that have been exported from Filemaker 8 in the XML version FMPDSORESULT. I want to display them on the web in a very simple fashion and I started this morning trying to use CSS. I have come to realise that XSL is probably the way to go but I'm working (voluntarily) for a group of local historians who have absolutely no money and are using a free website - freeola.

Before I spend ages working this out, I need to know the following: do I need just the two files - the FM produced XML and an XSL file to style it? (in the same way you have html and css). And will this work on their free server space which presumably has nothing special on it at all?

If yes, (of course you know the next question) can you point me to a straightforward example of this? I have Filemaker 8 - are there examples within the templates somewhere?

Many thanks,

Rosie

You can use either CSS or XSLT to format an XML document for displaying in a browser. However, in both cases you would need to edit the exported XML document in order to add a link to the stylesheet.

OTOH, if you use an XSLT stylesheet DURING the actual export from Filemaker, you can produce a finished HTML document straight from the oven. Some examples of this can be found in the XML Examples folder that came with your application.

This topic is 5841 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.