Opening database from server

This topic is 5836 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Ok, I'm new to FM, so I'm having a little trouble understanding. I've got FM 9, and I've created an Inventory database. I'd like to store the database on a server, then have myself, along with 2 other people be able to edit it. Is it possible to save it on the server, then open it from a server? I see a similar option, although I believe it is to open a database from FM Server, the application. I currently have a linux server. Is there any way I could do what I'm looking for? I'm sorry for such a rookie question, but I'm really liking FM, but I'd hate to make changes on the database, then send the file to a few other people so they have the most updated version. Please help!

Forget sharing the files on a network volume: it only ends in tears.

Set up a box dedicated to running FM Server.

• Newbies

The only thing about that is that it's just a few people using the database, so the FM Server software is a bit expensive. I may consider it if I can get a decent Mac Server. If I were to go that route, would I be better off installing it on OS X Server, or would regular OS X work fine?

"The only thing about that is that it's just a few people using the database, so the FM Server software is a bit expensive."

It does seem so, doesn't it. Until the cost to completely rebuild the databases is considered, plus the down-time and loss of productivity for the company. Compare this with the cost of buying a box and a license of FMS amortised over, say, 3 years.

Once FMS is set up on a decent box, it is very, very stable.

Also if you consider its cost compared with other commercial relational databases such as SQL Server or Oracle, then its a bargin.

Technically its Microsoft SQL Server, and the alternatives postgre and MySQL aren't that bad... especially when you're comparing them to FM.

By the way, why is everyone ignoring the fm pro client's serving abilities?

Because Sharing through Client does provide the important features such as backup and not having to OPEN the file with the same computer every day. If one is very careful on the implementation of Peer ot Peer then it is an option, but I would always recommend using a dedicated server first.

This topic is 5836 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.