Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Double click to enlarge "edit box"?

Theo52

This topic is 5808 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi Guys

I'm fairly new to file maker and would like to make entering data into a description field easier.

The area for entering the data is quite small, however, as the data is entered it enlarges the data field.

When entering large amount of data I would like the box to open up - eg - when I enter information into an "other" area - a window opens and the data can be entered.

In other programs I have used - when the edit box is double clicked - a window opens up which can be sized up as needed. In this way it is clearer to see the information entered.

Question - Is there a way to set this up in Filemaker9 pro :

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers Theo

When you continue to type in an edit box, the field should, by default, automatically expand to accommodate whatever you are typing. However, when you leave the edit box, the field will DISPLAY (it is still there) only that which it has room to display.

When you click in the field again, the field opens up to display everything typed.

Getting output to work is somewhat different. You allocate the MAXimum space you need for the field in a printed report, and use the SLIDING PRINT functions to reduce the field to the minimum size needed, on a field-by-field basis. This only shows in PREVIEW and PRINT, not in screen layouts. That way, short text does not have tons of white space.

Alternative input method: you can create a pop-up window for long data entry, using the same field as the smaller one on your layout. This would provide space to type, without overlaying the other fields as you type. You might also consider using field level validation to restrict the number of characters to the maximum that you would allow in a printed report, so that you field sizing in the sliding fields would accommodate the maximum text entered.

Kinda general info - if you need specifics, provide details....

...Can you email the details / procedure to setup to

There is nothing wrong with taking something off forum but, by doing so, there will be others who read this post, anxiously await the answer and find that it dead-ends. It truly is best to provide a solution here so others with the same question can receive the benenfit of it. Just an idea. :wink2:

On the layout with the field you need more text in.....

A button / script to open a window. In that script, you need a PAUSE [indefinitely] so that the new open window is now modal (can't be closed without resuming the script). This basically puts the parent window script on hold until you complete whatever it is (in this case, data entry) and return to the script.

The layout in the new window may have as few as one field (context: layout based on the same TO as the starting layout) - the same field that you want input in. Add a button with a single function - RESUME SCRIPT. (NOTE: This function is only available to a single line button script, not a multiline script - a source of many headaches forcing the creation of funky approaches to human interface. No parameters, setting fields for conditional activity, etc. - you have to do the "tell me what conditional thing you want done" in some other way, like with a radio button field)

Back to the parent window - the RESUME SCRIPT should first close named-window-no-longer-needed. Viola - you have the data entry complete. The field will still only show however many characters it has space to display. You'll still need PREVIEW/PRINT to use the sliding space function to optimize variable space issues in field content for presentation.

IF you need to enter the field for more than one in a list, you will need to do some other magic to get the right record in the popup modal window, like a matchfield to another TO instance of the same data, or passing the record ID to a find in the open window script, or a GTRR to another TO instance of the same data - many ways to skin that cat.

There is a way to do this with system type dialogs supported by Filemaker directly, however, that method is typically not IWP compatible, nor, I believe (a guess here) PHP compatible. The new layout/window method is supported, I believe, at least by IWP.

This topic is 5808 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.