Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Microsoft Access Database?

kim

This topic is 8641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been supplied a Microsoft Access Database, and was wondering what would be the best way of importing it into Filemaker Pro. Could I use the ODBC driver for Access? I am on a Mac, and understand that Access is not available on Mac, but could I do the import from a PC?.....Or, should I export the data into an Excel spreadsheet, then import it into Filemaker. I have tried this method, but it didn't export all my records...only 65536 out of the 79000+ records. Is there a limit?

quote:

Originally posted by kim:

I have been supplied a Microsoft Access Database, and was wondering what would be the best way of importing it into Filemaker Pro. Could I use the ODBC driver for Access? I am on a Mac, and understand that Access is not available on Mac, but could I do the import from a PC?.....Or, should I export the data into an Excel spreadsheet, then import it into Filemaker. I have tried this method, but it didn't export all my records...only 65536 out of the 79000+ records. Is there a limit?

I would export to Excel. It sounds like you ran into a 64K limit. Access must only be able to export 64K records at a time. Try exporting in 2 batches via a query. Then from Excel, save as a CSV file and import into Filemaker.

This will also allow you to do any cleanup to the data before bringing it into Filemaker.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

quote:

Originally posted by captkurt:

I would export to Excel. It sounds like you ran into a 64K limit. Access must only be able to export 64K records at a time. Try exporting in 2 batches via a query. Then from Excel, save as a CSV file and import into Filemaker.

This will also allow you to do any cleanup to the data before bringing it into Filemaker.

The limit of 65K lines is actually an excel limit. I have ran into this many times because I worked with over 200K lines. Just some side info. smile.gif

This topic is 8641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.