Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need to View .pdf report in Container Field?

This topic is 4728 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

All wise Filemaker Experts! I've added a container field to hold a .pdf report file associated with each record in an existing database. (these pdf files are about 2 to 15 pages long each with several thousand records in each database - so space is an issue)

I originally wanted to embed the .pdf into the database so it will be part of the database. but, these 3 seem to be the only options I can find - which should I do?

1st. when I tried to import the .pdf file into the container field as a file it won't let me view it by double clicking without exporting it out again and saving it some where else before I can open it? or,

2nd. If I import each .pdf file into the field as a object it works great, but makes the .pdf size 10 times bigger than the original one and I'll never have enough room to put them all in. or,

3rd Option: I can store a link to (reference to) each pdf file saved in another folder in My Documents which works nicely on my system, but I need to send cd copies of these database files and the corresponding report .pdf file to each of my clients for their viewing also - won't this mess up the links to the .pdf file as they will most likely store them in different places (directories)than I do?

The box said this was easy? Could somebody please help - Should I do #1, and if so, could somebody help me with a script so I can view the report with a click of a button on my main layout. (can it store the file somewhere else just temporarily while being viewed and then be automatically deleted off only keeping the one file stored in the filemaker file?) Space is an issue for me. Thank you! Rebecca

I recently resolved this issue by creating and then deleting a file path using a VBScript. Compliments of Wlm Decorte's VBScript Repository:

http://www.connectingdata.com/downloads.htm

I have the script create a temp folder and create a temp file, open the pdf and when the pdf is closed I delete the path and the folder.

HTH

Hi,

Can I suggest a plugin solution?

Using our Reactor plugin is a Very Very nice way to display PDFs inline in FileMaker. With Reactor all you do is make a web viewer that has the URL as:

FeedReactor( "MyDocument.PDF" ; Documents::PDFstore )

... where Documents::PDFstore is a container field with the PDF stored in it.

If the user has installed Acrobat Reader then you get the full acrobat tool bar and features just like you do when viewing a PDF in your browser.

Reactor demo can be downloaded from fusionplugins.com/reactor

(BTW Reactor works with Runtime just fine if you're distributing the files that way.)

Cheers

Craig

Edited by Guest

CIMS,

Your method #1 doesn't work if you embed the file into the container, but works if it's saved as reference. I think that's weird but FM might have an explanation why is it so (also, referencing is always a problem if you need to send your work to someone else outside of your system.).

Your method #2 is the one I went also, but I assume you imported the PDF as file and that makes the file 10 times bigger. That still doesn't allow you to view the file in FM but in Acrobat only by double-clicking on it.

What I did was I imported it as Quicktime file. What it does is opens the file in the container, and adds a small sliding bar (and 3 buttons) at the bottom, where by clicking the right two allows you to move through your PDF file age by page in FM. Also, sliding the bar can jump you faster to the desired page. So, browsing through 100 pages of PDF is a breeze with this solution. It only lacks pagination and precise jumping to a specific page.

I hope this is the answer you were looking for.

• 2 years later...
  • Newbies

Hi, You need to convert your QuickTime to QuickTime Pro in order to do a save as. QTP can be purchased at apple store for about $30.- I did it yesterday and it works fine. I had problems with my version of QuickTime as I just installed a new 27" imac which had QuickTime X installed I had to go back to QT 7.6.6

Hope this helps.

This topic is 4728 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.