Performance Tip : Validate Font References

This topic is 5735 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I recently needed to update a FM3 database to FM9. In addition, the database was migrated from a PC to a Mac. While the conversion of the database went without issue, I was experiencing significant performance issues when using the database. Mainly, I would get the beach ball as I moved from record to record. With only 5800 records in the database, I knew something else was causing the problem.

After multiple Google searches, and having limited luck in finding similar experiences, I applied the "check for invalid file references" recommendation to a broader set of functions within my DB and was finally able to resolve the issue. In short, if you see performance problems, check the fonts that are referenced in all of your layouts. If you see "", change it to something available.

In my case, all of the layouts had multiple references to "" fonts. I replaced all of them and performance was great.

Many of you experienced FM9 users may have automatically caught and changed this. However, being a newbie to FM9, I was banging my head trying to find the problem. I looked at the tables, relationships, fields, etc... and nothing fixed the performance issue.

I hope this post helps those new to FM9 and are dealing with converted or migrated database.

Hey James! Welcome to FM Forums! And thank you for just jumping in and providing information to help others (as your very first post). That rocks! :smile2:

This topic is 5735 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.