Server Maintenance This Week. ×

9 Admin console won't launch

This topic is 5706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This seems to be a repeating topic on these forums. Here is my scenario. Fresh Install of OSX Server 10.4.11 on an Xserve with no connection to the internet. Install Filemaker server 9. I get in, can configure things, looks good. I setup everything for using server, doing backups, etc. then quit admin console. Attempt to launch again, and it sits at the screen saying "checking for latest version" and never goes beyond that. I distinctly made it a point to confirm that the "allow server to check for updates" checkbox was unchecked. Are there any suggestions for geting this to work? I have wiped the server and reinstalled everything, only to get the same symptom. Very frustrating and time consuming, especially since server is headless and I need to go hook up a monitor and kybd in the data center to reinstall everything. :

If you need headless control of the Xserve then enable Apple Remote Desktop in the Sharing preferences. You can then use Chicken of the VNC to connect to your Xserve.

If you need full interaction then look at Timbuktu.

Did you try installing WITH an internet connection?

Thanks for the input, but that doesn't help the situation. I didn't mention that I have ARD turned on and A full copy of Apple's remote desktop software, which does what Chicken of the VNC does, and then some and can get to the system fine. The problem arises when you wipe the OS and reinstall it. You can't really do that over ARD, unless you have custom install disks created with ARD turned on. I had the machine connected to the internet, but the IT department has an overly restrictive Proxy server set up that blocks connection to Apple's software update server and seems to restrict the connection to Filemakers Software update server as well, because I had the same symptom. I disabled the internet connection because I read elsewhere on the forums that proxy servers were causing issues with FM 9 Server. This is the second time wiping the machine and installing from scratch, I am starting to get frustrated.

More info, this is what I get in the Console upon launch of Admin console App:

2008-07-22 11:41:11.110 FMS9-CS Filemaker server[766] CFLog (0): CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1103 (0x44f), port = 0xf603, name = 'com.apple.jnlp-file___localhost_Users_admin_Library_Caches_Java_cache_javaws_http_Dlocalhost_P16000_AMadmin_console_webstart.jnl'

See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.

2008-07-22 11:41:11.112 FMS9-CS Filemaker server[766] CFLog (99): CFMessagePortCreateLocal(): failed to name Mach port (com.apple.jnlp-file___localhost_Users_admin_Library_Caches_Java_cache_javaws_http_Dlocalhost_P16000_AMadmin_console_webstart.jnl)

Anybody have any ideas here? Does anybody speak "Unix" or "java"?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In response to Steven Blackwell. Yes the Service was running. It can be seen using the activity monitor program found in the Utilities folder.

In response to Bench Kajyambere, As for whether I fixed it, not entirely. I did find a workaround that worked for someone else. It is as follows:

1. download YASU from the web. It is a system admin utility.

2. Be prepared to restart the machine before you run this, as it requires a restart to actually fix the problem.

3. Run the cron jobs, and check off all the clear cache checkboxes.

(not sure which item fixes the problem, didn't have time to narrow it down)

4. On restart, throw out the desktop launcher you may have created. relaunch from the FMs 9 Start page web site.

Everything should work now.

This topic is 5706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.