Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Paste function in AppleScript

This topic is 5740 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am trying to write a script to auto send a confirmation letter. I want Mail to enter the e-mail address of the recipient automatically. I can do a keystroke to enter the address, but think there must be a way to tell the Mail application to paste or get the results of a field in FM. Thinking I need to use AppleScript, but there may be a better way. I am a novice at AppleScript. Hope someone can help.

Did you click the link I posted? The Send Mail dialog is pretty straightforward: click the triangle next to the "To" field and specify your field or calculation.

Can you be more specific about your problem? When you "tried to send mail," what exactly did you do? What did you expect to happen after that, and what did or didn't happen?

• Newbies

I do need to be more specific. We use a dedicated machine to hosts our FM files. It is not a server. I have a letter that I want to e-mail to a single contact. Most of the dialog in the letter is text in a layout with three merge fields that fill in the pertinent information. I also want it to show our letterhead and signature. I have been saving the layout as a PDF file and attaching it in the attachment area of the mail script step and sending it that way. I am finding if I want to use the script from a different machine, it does not know how to find the attachment which is saved on our dedicated machine.

Hmmm, well this doesn't even resemble your original question. So the problem is with locating the attachment? This is somewhat easier to deal with in FM8 where you can specify a file path with a variable. But if the attachment is on a shared/mounted volume, you should be able to access it.

In the file path dialog you can put multiple paths. Try putting in the local machine path first (assuming that you sometimes send the mail from there) and then the network path.

• Newbies

I tried that as an attachment, but it sends the whole data base, not just the one record. Maybe there is more info I can put into the file path to designate the one record. I did try yesterday saving the record to a file as a pdf and using that as the attachment, but I can only get it to work from the dedicated machine.

Do you think if I get one copy of FM 8 for the dedicated machine the others on 7 could use the upgraded variable feature?

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5740 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.