Server Maintenance This Week. ×

can an xsl style sheet be in a text field?

Cabinetman

This topic is 5734 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have everything set up with the sheet as a file .xsl and working fine.

I'm wondering if instead of calling it by using the 'Use XSL style sheet' and choosing 'File' if it can be done any other way? My thought was setting up a text field with it in there and calling by 'Calculation' with the field as the calc.

Silly question probably but I've put a lot of work into getting this stylesheet just right and am looking for some way to protect it.

Thanks... off to a funeral. Will check in later.

One way of doing this is to put the xsl stylesheet in a field, as you say, then exporting it to a known location. That way you know it's there, and can more easily distribute your solution to others. However, if you use Export Field Contents, you will get UTF-16. Which usually works fine. But I can't remember how it works on Windows XP (fuzzy }:(-). If you have problems with that, you can always isolate the record and export as tab-delimited (single record, single field), where you have more choice of export encoding.

Or you could put the FILE in a container field.

I take it to put the actual .xsl file into and then export? Or did you mean to call it from there?

I'll have a couple different ones so either seems like a good idea.

I guess my biggest concern is was...to let others use my work but to keep my work mine. I guess that isn't right considering all the help I've gotten on this.

Yet still so many hours I've spent on this!

Edited by Guest

put the actual .xsl file into and then export?

Yes. You cannot use a .xsl file while it's embedded in a container field.

let others use my work but to keep my work mine.

Unfortunately, there is no way to protect a .xsl file completely. I think the most you can do is export your file say to the temp folder, call it from there and then overwrite it with a dummy file.

Unfortunately, there is no way to protect a .xsl file completely. I think the most you can do is export your file say to the temp folder, call it from there and then overwrite it with a dummy file.

Interesting idea....... I think I like it.

It would def. help in a few different ways and be fairly simple to script.

There are several files required for this solution and I was thinking of the easiest possible way to make sure everything went where it was suppose to. Scripting in the export of container fields seems the best idea.

Thanks to both of you .. (I'm referring also to Fenton's original response).. for the advice.

Fenton has helped me on many an occasion here before and it is always much appreciated!

Until my next problem...

This topic is 5734 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.