Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Opening file from a host

Rich Silva

This topic is 8599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

In FM Pro 5, when I try to remotely open a file not already open on a host computer I get a message indicating that the file is read only, and I cannot change anything. I have enabled sharing, as well as access priviledges through users & groups but it does not work. Everything is OK if the file is open on the host first.

Is this a bug or a "feature"? How can I get around it.? I can't have 75 databases open at once.

quote:

Originally posted by Rich Silva:

In FM Pro 5, when I try to remotely open a file not already open on a host computer I get a message indicating that the file is read only, and I cannot change anything. I have enabled sharing, as well as access priviledges through users & groups but it does not work. Everything is OK if the file is open on the host first.

Is this a bug or a "feature"? How can I get around it.? I can't have 75 databases open at once.

This is neither, this is simply a poor configuration choice.

If you are at this level of usage you should really be on Filemaker Server, which can host up to 125 files at one time. This is more secure and of a much higher performance level.

The other option is to make the volume that the FMP files reside on a shared volume. Although this generally results in pretty poor performance and instability, as you make it possible for multiple computer have to the necessary files open and they start waiting for each other endlessly.

Alternately you could designate 2 computers as "hosts" and open all of the files on them, allowing you a maximum of 100 files. This will allow you to connect via the Hosts button, but performance will be nowhere near as good or stable as on FMP Server.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It sounds like you are opening a file on a remote volume by clicking on its icon, and you only have read-only access to the volume.

Follow Kurts advice: get a FMP server up and running. HOST the files on that, then teach users how to open the files through the hosts button. Or make an opener file to simplify the process -- look in the FAQs forum for instructions.

This topic is 8599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.