Basic question about possibilities of sharing ...

This topic is 5738 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hey there,

I'm beginning the planning phase of my second FileMaker project.

The database will be very easy to implement, because it's mainly a address-book, but the question is, how to set up and what to buy regarding licensing and serving and stuff:

We have about eight clients involved, at least two of them need to be able to edit the database.

The other clients just need to browse and search.

Obviously the first possibility is to run an FM Server and FM Pro on every machine.

Is there a cheaper possibility, like, having two FM Pros for the editing-clients, and a web-interface on the server where the other clients can access the data read-only?

If so, is it possible (and legal) to buy only one FM Pro, install it on every machine and only for editing the FM Pro will be used, so it's only one user at a time editing the database, the others reading via the webinterface?

Thanks for helping me out here,

MatzeHali

Each person using FIleMaker Pro needs his or her own copy.

Others could use IWP, but that is really a server based process, although you can do a limited number of IWP connections by peer to peer.

And of course there is also the issue of the host machine.

Steven

• Newbies

So as I read about IWP, it seems to be possible to edit text and number-fields over the browser-interface, so if we just set up one machine with FM Pro and the FM Server (on the standard Apache) a simple AddressBook could be browsed and searched and even edited online via a browser?

Thanks for your reply,

MatzeHali

If you're going to use IWP you'll need FM Server Advanced. Yes, using IWP you can browse, search and edit FileMaker databases via a browser. You don't need FM Pro clients at all, you just need it to do the development.

This topic is 5738 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.