Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Client crashes'

This topic is 5706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure this is the correct place for this post, but here goes.

I have been having a great number of issues when a file hosted by FP Server Advanced 8v4 is crashing on a particular client's machine (Windows XP2). This client - using FP9v3 - usually runs a large number of databases on his machine over various applications and has a consistent problem of his FP files crashing at different times (e.g. sometimes when only FP9 is open; other times when moving between applications).

In particular it seems to happen when running scripts to view different layouts (e.g. arriving on a different layout causes the page to partially draw and will bring up the message: "Filemaker has encountered an error.."). Sometimes a prompt will appear indicating "Out of memory", but not always.

It also seems to happen when using the Send Mail script (opening in Outlook) and I have today found other info about the issue when using Send Mail, so I hope to address those.

Curiously though this does not seem to be the case for the other clients viewing the same file.

I have reinstalled FP on the client's PC but it is still happening and I am under the impression that the problem is client-based.

Any help out there?

What are the specs on this client's machine? What type of hardware. What other applications is he running at the same time? etc. Obviously running photoshop and FileMaker at the same time on a out of spec machine will kill it.

If they are running events which require a lot of client side processing and his specs are not great then it could be an issue. Also you may want to check the physical RAM to make sure they are not faulty. I have seen this effect things.

This topic is 5706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.