Server Maintenance This Week. ×

fmserver & fmsadmin

This topic is 5565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Alright. Managed to get my FM6 files converted, cleaned and opening error free so I figured lets get the server running.

After installing, I went through the config and tried to change the default folders as I already have a backup folder and I don't want the databases stored in the library. Everything I tried says it's an invalid folder so I checked the help and found:

Tips for valid folders

The folders you specify as a backup folder and as an additional database folder must be valid.

Specify a folder on a local volume, not on a remote volume.

If you want to store database backups on a remote volume, first backup the database to a local volume, and then copy the backup to a remote volume.

Ensure that the folder has permissions set correctly so that FileMaker Server can read and write to the folder.

(Mac OS) The folder must be owned by the user fmserver (or in the group fmsadmin).

Specify the folder as an absolute path:

Windows: The path you enter must start with filewin:/ and end with a slash (/).

For example, filewin:/driveLetter/folderName/

Mac OS: The path you enter must start with filemac:/ and end with a slash (/).

For example, filemac:/volumeName/folderName/

Owned by fmserver or in the fmsadmin group? When I tried to change the permissions for my backup folder to add that group, it will not add as it doesn't seem to exist anywhere. When I just type in the name, it fails as I did not put in a password.

What's up with this and how do I get it to work?

FM Server cannot backup files to remote volumes.

The fmserver and fmsadmin user and group is created by the FM Server installer. If they aren't in the list then I'd suggest re-installing FM Server.

I figured they were added during the install, I was hoping they would not be hidden somehow though.

I uninstalled, rebooted and re-installed and still not there. When I check the Get Info for the "Databases" folder (the default one in library), it shows the fmserver and fmsadmin with read/write access.

When I check Get Info on the folder I want to setup as my database folder, (it's in users if that makes a difference) and try to add fmserver and fmadmin to the list, they are not in the "Select a new user or group" pop-up box. They are also not in the list if I check directly in the System Preferences/Accounts.

Did not have any trial versions on here. This is (was) a new machine. I had FM6 which is the original database files, installed FM7 to do the conversion and then installed FM9 server (9.0.3.326) on this OSX 10.5.5 machine (it's a mini).

If you don't think it's a real issue hosting the files from the library, then maybe I should not worry about it? It's just that this office has been configured with a particular HD structure for 15 years and I'd like to keep it relatively the same - that is all data is on a Data partition; makes for easy backup/restore of data if necessary.

I'm planning on running with a mix of FM7 and FM9 clients as well. Do you think this will be a problem?

There is no problem hosting files from their default location in the FMS root directory. Or, you can pick a second drive on the same machine. Just specify in the Console that FMS is to use a second lcoation as well.

Steven

That's the issue though Steven; I can't select another location. It keeps saying invalid path. When I researched the error, it indicated it was the permissions. When I try to add the fmserver and/or fmsadmin to the permissions, I can't because they don't show up in the users list.

When I use the Admin console to open the files, it makes a copy of them into the library folder rather than leaving them in their original data folder. That is the reason I wanted to get the alternate folder working. I'm guessing there is something incorrect on this installation since there doesn't seem to be a lot of reports of this error, but, I can't seem to find what is wrong.

The fact that the fmserver and fmsadmin account and group don;t exist indicates that something is *seriously* wrong.

When FM Server was installed was it done using the root or admin account? I'd suggest that it was not.

The fact that the fmserver and fmsadmin account and group don;t exist indicates that something is *seriously* wrong.

When FM Server was installed was it done using the root or admin account? I'd suggest that it was not.

There is only one account on the machine and it is an Admin level account and I agree with the *seriously* wrong. I just don't know what.

remember NOT to name your server "FMSERVER" or "FMADMIN" as these are added by the installer. Just give your OSX default user a generic name "fred" or something very benign.

I had terrible permissions problems when with a fresh install of OSX naming the machine fmserver.

Not! That should not be a solution here - XP/Vista maybe, but not OS X.

Well, the OS has some serious account and permissions problems, it's not working, and nobody can work out how to fix it because stuff that should be "just working" is not... what's next apart from wiping the slate clean?

remember NOT to name your server "FMSERVER" or "FMADMIN" as these are added by the installer. Just give your OSX default user a generic name "fred" or something very benign.

I had terrible permissions problems when with a fresh install of OSX naming the machine fmserver.

Absolutely great advice! I hadn't done that as the server already has a name and the main admin account as well and they are not fmserver }:(:) It's good that you pointed it out though in case others search here for help!!!

Well, the OS has some serious account and permissions problems, it's not working, and nobody can work out how to fix it because stuff that should be "just working" is not... what's next apart from wiping the slate clean?

Considering this was a new out of the box machine, how much cleaner do you want it to be? I'm thinking there must be a way of adding the proper permissions using terminal mode since the accounts are obviously there somewhere - maybe FM has them hidden from the Preferences:User panel? If you have FM Server installed, do you see fmserver and fmsadmin in the list of users to add permissions? If not, how did you work around it?

"Considering this was a new out of the box machine, how much cleaner do you want it to be?"

It's got a generic install that's probably out of date.

The first thing I do with a server machine is wipe the disk and reinstall the OS making sure that the junk isn't put back on. Then update the firmware etc.

"If you have FM Server installed, do you see fmserver and fmsadmin in the list of users to add permissions?"

No they do not appear in the Preferences:Users panel. There may be a way to add them using terminal, but what with everything else I still suggest a disk wipe.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure where you are talking about. If I do a Get Info and click the + to add someone, the Select User & Group dialogue shows up but there is no fmsadmin or fmserver listed. Should they actually be there or are they hidden somehow?

I found a work-around by assigning the owner and group using the terminal (chown/chgrp). That seems to have worked for now, but, I'd still like to know if I should see those in the User & Group dialogue.

Also, is there a way to write an AppleScript to change all of the permissions? I'm guessing yes but I know next to nothing about AppleScript.

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

ShosMeister, I have been trying to reach you.

I have the same situation, same hardware and software, and same location (HF, WV). I am familiar with the terminal but I need the specific commands to use to create the account and extend read/write priviledges to that account.

Can you help?

This topic is 5565 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.