Server Maintenance This Week. ×

File References

This topic is 5670 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi - here is the scenario ... we run a fm 8.5 db at work that is made up of around 20 separate files all linked together using file references and fm network sharing.

Effectively I am trying to make a copy of this set up so that I can do some development work.

Having taken a copy of the files onto a non-networked machine I am finding that opening the files is virtually impossible. FM detects the network is missing and eventually prompts to locate the file, but after doing this two or three times then appears to hang.

Is there anyway to open the files but to halt the process before the file references are made? This way at least I can get in and change them.

Alternatively is there anyway I can trick the standalone machine so that fm networking points to the copied files i.e. point fmnet:/192.168.2.124/ points to /mystandalonedatabase folder.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Cheers Tim

If all of the files are on the same server, there is no need to hard-code the ip number into the file reference. They should all be:

file:filename

If they are split between servers then it becomes harder. The references need to be changed.

Unless the development machine is in it's own LAN behind a router, then it can have the same IP number as the development server. That'd be really cool. :

Yes, in fact all the files are on the same server - I am not sure why then the ip address was included in the reference. If I can remove them, and nothing breaks across our network, then this in future this will make taking a copy for development a breeze!

In the meantime whilst I'm not at work I'd like to get up and running on the standalone machine. This is not networked so yep, I guess I can look to change my ip address - although this is where I admit that I don't know where to look to do so and I don't want to stuff up my internet access and firewalls etc:)

Thanks for your time.

Tim

This topic is 5670 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.