Server Maintenance This Week. ×

File Renaming and Paths Lost

This topic is 5668 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Unfortunately because of required access to various files, someone renamed a couple related FileMaker 9.0 databases and now, of course, every time I start either file, I get the message that the related database cannot be found. Sure, I can navigate to the 2nd one and open it that way BUT............ isn't there a simple way to "erase" this problem and make FileMaker automatically recognize the two riles are related without having to navigate all the time.

- THANKS!

Open your first file and let it ask you where the second file is. Then go to File > Manage > External Data Sources. Change the reference that is incorrect to the correct one. Then say OK. If you do this, your table occurrences and calculations will work. Even your script steps will work because they are based upon the table occurrence name, which won't change - it is only the underlying reference which will change. However, any [color:red]imports will NOT work because they will maintain the old reference.

I suggest you rather address your issue of others changing file names. You should change the file name back in truth. And, if others insist on different names, use Tools > Developer Utilities to rename files. It is the purpose of that utility. The thought that others, other than the Developer, can access ANY FileMaker files makes me shudder. :crazy2:

UPDATE: BTW, if you decide to change the file reference, do not change the reference name above (while in the External Data Source dialog box). Only change the path. But DO address the problem to save your sanity and your data.

Edited by Guest
Added update

This topic is 5668 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.