New Record - no record number created

This topic is 8531 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

A FM application I'm using/troubleshooting has a button that calls a script that adds a new record. A subscript runs as part of this script and creates 3 related records.

When adding a new record, a FM warning pops up saying: "This field cannot be modified until RECORD NUMBER is given a valid value"

I click ok, it comes up again. Three times total. Then the script dumps me in the right field in the right layout, like I was creating a new record. But there is no record number assigned.

I think the message results from the record number not being created by FM before the 'create related records' subscript runs, which then fails three times. The scripts seem to be correct and the record number field is set up correctly (serial number, next value after a specified number, etc.) but, for some reason, a record number is not being created.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

• Newbies

Record number is a field in the parent file. All files are related by this record number field - through relationships defined. Next opportunity, I'll check the principle relationships involved to be sure theyr'e still defined properly. Other thoughts? thanks,

Ted

Sounds to me that the script isn't creating a valid value (or any value?) in the "Record Number" field. Since the value (if any) isn't valid or isn't there, you can't create related records based on that value, which is why you're getting the message three times -- it comes up when you try to create a related record.

• Newbies

Most definitely - seems to be the case that a new record is not being created, despite validation and the requirement that a record number exist.

Need to figure out why this script, which is identical to working one in other copies of the application, does not work here. Haven't been able to identify the problem. Thanks.

This topic is 8531 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.