Solution to access single file in FM 6

This topic is 5645 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We are running FileMaker Pro 6 in our office, and head office is developing a new and improved database in Pro 9 that has not been implemented yet. Of course, there is no telephone tech support for the version of the software we're currently using.

We are experiencing difficulties accessing one section of our database (the most important file, of course) and are receiving the following errors:

- The access priveleges in this file have been damaged or possibly tampered with. Please contact FileMaker Technical Support if the problem cannot be resolved.

- [filename] could not be found. Please locate the file or click Cancel to cancel any further requests for this file.

- Sorry, FileMaker is unable to read the disk this file is on. Click Continue to try again or click Exit and copy this file to another disk.

- [filename] could not be found and is required to complete this operation.

The other files seem to load fine, but we are not able to perform any functions involving the problematic file. I'm not certain if it is related, but our backups have not been running properly either. We ran a disk check on the server, and that didn't help. Our tech service has run out of ideas, as they are not very familiar with FileMaker.

My administrator tried to disable the hosting and open the file to save a compacted or compressed copy, but that didn't work. He also attempted the recover option, so now I am at a loss. I am very worried that we may lose 7 years of data.

What causes do you know of or solutions do you recommend to fix this?

This is a guess.

Your file password, and user id was changed.

When you convert a v6 file to a higher, i.e. 7, 8, 9, FileMaker adds the User ID of Admin.

However, I'm not understanding how you are accessing the files at your location. Are they on a local Machine, or being served somewhere?

Are the files being served in a version different than what you are trying to access them. I.e. v7 being access by v6.

HTH

Lee

• Newbies

Hello, Lee.

We are running FileMaker 6 at my location only. We downloaded FM Pro 9 to our machines, but we are keeping the two versions separate until we are ready to import all of the existing data into the upgrade.

My user id and password must remain the same, as I am currently logged in and can access SOME of the database. I just can't do anything involving the one corrupted file.

We access our files through our own hosting from the server computer. Our administrator can interrupt the server from Head Office and make changes and repairs as needed, but he hasn't found a solution yet. He is supposed to continue working on it through the weekend, trying different suggestions, and then we'll see where we're at on Monday morning. I'll let you know if anything changes then.

Thanks a lot for your response!

This topic is 5645 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.