Multi-file User Authentication - Urgent help if possible!

This topic is 5601 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone...

I am almost embarassed to be asking this one. When I started this solution I didn't know anything about filemaker - and I have been gradually learning by reading the "missing manual" and the "filemaker 9 bible" amongst other sources, and of course this forum.

However, my initial application for filemaker was very limited. Over the last few months however, I have been asked by the company I work at to continually expand this - and it now includes every department of the company.

My problem is I started off with a multi-file environment, as I didn't quite understand the methods filemaker uses. As such, I now have 16 seperate files containing different areas of my database (each one having several tables).

Whilst filemaker works fine on a network this way, and I haven't had any problems, I have now run into an authentication problem. Some users, such as the general manager, will be able to access all parts of the system. However, how can I control the user authentication across multiple files, and enable them to change their password, without having to manually go through EVERY file and change it?

As it stands I have a set of accounts with configured priviliges on every file - which are consistent with each other. This means if I log in to my main interface as a "Warehouse Admin" for instance, I can continue to navigate under this same account. However, if I change the password for that account on the main interface, I then won't be able to access any other files...

I realise my structure is incorrect from the outset. However, at the end of the day it is a learning curve, and I have done my best in every other element to make it secure and efficient. I believe previous filemaker versions worked primarily as multi-files, so surely there must be a way to solve this?

Needless to say merging everything into one file at this stage would not be an option - as the final deadline is in 2 weeks.

Any and all help would, as always, be immensely appreciated.

Best Regards,

Jason V.

I forgot to mention... I have had a look through external server authentication and single sign on... I am slightly confused about the differences and lacking a solid resource to review in order to learn about this... I feel perhaps one of these two methods could help me solve my problem??

External Server Authentication is specifically designed to accomplish efficient management of this task.

You will need to do a one time retrofit of all your files, after which time the Accounts will be managed on the server.

There is a Tech Brief about External Server Authentication on the FMI web site. If you can't find it, please let me know.

Steven

Steven, Many thanks for your reply.

I had spent a couple of hours looking over this last night in a chapter in the Filemaker Pro9 Bible, where it was suggested to use scripts that automatically change the user login details across all files. I thought it was probably not the best way to go about it, and after several hours configuring it to test, I realised it was also quite slow and gave rise to more headaches than those which it solved...

I am assuming external server authentication will be alot more secure and will make the process flow better?

I am downloading the file you spoke of at the moment and will proceed to review it asap. Unfortunately I have run into a far greater problem which I am trying to deal with - which I have posted in the section on run-time applications - regarding kiosk mode... If you could by any chance help me on that I would also be immensely greatful. Thanks in advance, and thanks again for your help.

Jason V

This topic is 5601 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.