Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Corrupt/Problems in file after recovering

This topic is 5584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi everyone, I've been using Filemaker 7 for quite some time, and I mainly use it to store a detailed database (consisting of four files in co-relation) based on my music collection. I store in the container fields the covers of all the records, and the main file where they are stored has grown to a size of 4,9 gigabytes. However, I've always worked perfectly well and with no major problems. Occasionally, due to some error of my part, I had to run a consistency check on the four files that make part of my database, but everything was ok afterwards. Now, two days ago, after closing the main file (the one with the 4,9 gigas), Filemaker displayed an error message saying that there was a problem with the program. Initially, I ran the consistency check, but to no avail, and then I've done the recovering of the file. It apparently solved the problem, but now I've got many records which have all their fields' contents substituted by "?" (question marks) and which are not editable. However, when finding for a specific data content that I know that is on one of the records' fields, that record appears as a result of my query, although I can't see the appropriate data on the fields as a result of its substitution by "?". This makes me think that perhaps there is a solution for a full recover of the data, otherwise the database wouldn't recognise the elements when I do a find query. Is there someone who can help me on this? Many thanks in advance, João

You should never continue working with a recovered file. You should always extract the data from teh recovered file and import the data into a clean CLONE backup.

This topic is 5584 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.