Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help please!

This topic is 5581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I'm very new to filemaker pro and am having some problem with relationships.

I'm trying to make a database based on an elderly care facility, one table has the names of the residents ("Resident Info" Table, their address and the date they came into the care home, and the other is a table with details of people who pay for those individual residents("payee" table).

What I want to create is a field in the Resident Info table called payee, where i can select from a drop down list the name of the payee who pays for that resident. so i create a field in both tables called payee and link them. But when I add data to the Payee table and then go back to the resident info table it doesnt work. If anyone can offer some insight i owuld be most grateful.

Hi Flashy and welcome to the forums.

You really should have all people in one table. There should be a type field to designate if the person is a resident or a payee.

There should also be another table to "join" all related payee people to each resident. Also this will benefit you if ever you have a payee taking care of more than one resident.

Take some time a do some research on join tables. Properly structuring this now will save you loads of rework later.

P.S. You may want to go even further by putting addresses into a different table as some people having different mailing / billing addresses. It all really depends on your situation.

This topic is 5581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.