Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Set field in lots of records

camitz

This topic is 5573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

New to FileMaker, been working with sql-based databases before and can't really get my head around a few things.

A basic contact register: You've got a contact layout and a portal with phone numbers, an unlimited number. I've got the relationships setup etc.

One of these phone numbers is the primary, so you got a checkbox. But only one of these can be set at a time. So when the user checks one, all the other have to go unchecked, for that particular contact.

How do you do that?

Much obliged.

Martin

So when the user checks one, all the other have to go unchecked, for that particular contact.

Strictly speaking is this a radio button metaphor not a check-box ditto....

But Barbera's suggestion is otherwise succinct and to the point correct.

--sd

test.zip

• Newbies

I can only agree that Barbara's solution is very good. I might say the same about you're language, where'd you learn the word succinct?

Bad example, but learning how to do this with a script I feel will be useful, I'm sure of it. What if you have two primaries? (The example is really flawed now). Or better yet, a user determined number of primaries? Can it be done?

Camitz, two primaries? Certainly, Soren will post a link to a dictionary, lol.

I think that you are alluding to the fact that you'd like to go down a list and "mark" records. This technique of adding and removing record IDs from a global field can be found here: Multi-user Marking .

:

1400–50; late ME < L succinctus, ptp. of succingere to gird, gather up (one's clothes), prepare for action, equiv. to suc- suc- + cing(ere) to gird, equip + -tus ptp. suffix

or...:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/succinctus#Latin

But Barbara used, the old Jeff Almquist way ... why not exploit a very usefull CF in this context:

http://www.briandunning.com/cf/39

...since your solution often can benefit from it in various methods you wish to throw after a solution.

--sd

This topic is 5573 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.