Upgrading from v6 to v10

This topic is 5482 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database where all the files (11 files) were labeled ".fp5", but the files were actually operating in FMPro v6.04.

1/19/2009 we upgraded to v10.1. Everything seems to have gone smoothly except in one file, I found relationships were 'significantly changed' and I easily straightened that out. Though it was time consuming.

However, before and after fixing those relationships, one script we run will not show the right information the first time we run it. But it DOES show it correctly the second time we run it. : The information that 'is not' showing then later 'does show' comes from another file. But so does a lot of the other information.

All of our systems are running WinXP Pro SP3 with all current updates. We are not running server. We have a total of 6 workstations, including the host.

Any idea what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input and feedback.

It could be many different things but I would make sure that your file references are clean up first.

Have you read all the migration tech briefs? I just posted a link to 3 docs a few days ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I had similar "seemingly inconsistent" issues in one of my files after upgrading from 6 to 9.

The culprit? COMMIT RECORDS. In prior versions, whenever a user entered data in a field, it was pretty much immediately entered in the db. Now it's not. Check if you are pasting data or editing field contents anywhere prior to the script and add a Commit Record script step.

May not be your issue, but, it's one that we pre 7.x users never had to deal with until now.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

hey guys, Mr Vodka in particular! i've read the techbriefs, am still reading them (they are not short), but have done 5 to 7 before; and am now doing a big 50 file to 10.

Proposing slow convert process with much planning. Thought to follow path of a central script doing clone (no record) copies of all relevant files to then test conversion process on via MetaMagic and into FMP10. However, mildly scuppered in that by the fact that 'save a copy as' don't work, greyed out in normal use, and claims out of memory in script use... running FMP Server 5.5 - perhaps that is why it won't have it? I need to stop server and run it on local copies i'm guessing? A bit of a bind to say the least! :B I guess there is no easy way.

Thanks for any help / clarity on this very particular aspect...

t

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry been away for a while and just trying to catch up on some old posts now...

Yes I would suggest just taking a backup copy of the served files that reside in your backups directory and just save as clone (make backup copies of the clone just in case). You can then use those to plan your migration strategy. Once you have it planned and ready for migration, you can export the production data (after stopping server) and import into your new fp7 structure.

This topic is 5482 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.