This topic is 5554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a TS server setup with vla FMP 9 and the files are running on FMSA 9. The TS OS is MS Server 2003 SP2 and FMS9 is running on an XP sp3.

I have the FMS settings set to "only display files that user is allowed to see" and when I try to connect to FMS I am being prompted to authenticate in order to display the files. Is there a way for FMP to use the users windows login to authenticate and display the appropriate files? When I click on the available file, it does use the user's Windows login credentials to authenticate and login to the solution. Is this the result of the bug reported by Steven (sticky post)? I'm hoping that this is only valid for user's workstation and not server.

An alternative would be to have an opener file on the user's desktop but I can't figure out a way to have the opening script use the user's Windows credentials to open the remote file.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Edited by Guest

This is the cause of your problem:

and FMS9 is running on an XP sp3.

Service Pack 3 on XP broke part of External Server Authentication related to database visibility. In FileMaker Server 10 it works correctly.

You can fix your present situation using the 9 family of prodcuts by running FileMaker Server 9 on Windows Server 2003 SP 2, and by running the TS virtual sessions on Windows Server 2003 SP 2 with FileMaker Pro 9.0v3.

Steven

I don't think that I'll purchase another license of Server 2003 just to solve this problem. The client will have to live with the authentication.

Has anyone tested Server 10 on XP sp3? Yes I know it isn't a supported environment but that doesn't mean that it won't run. MS has repeatedly delayed the end of life support for XP and probably will until Windows 7 is ready. There are still many issues with Vista and older hardware (mostly driver issues). Only one of my government clients is planning to migrate to Vista this year, all others are still deployed on XP.

Steven;

Do you know if external authentication in mixed environments is now working properly? As you may recall, with 9 this scenario would not work:

1. Server: OSX & FMServer 9

2. AD: Windows 2003 Active Directory

3. Server is bound to AD Domain

4. Client: XP

The SSO Tokens for the client, logged into the domain, are forwarded to the OSX Server for authentication, but the authentication fails

Im sure you and I have talked about this before; I was wondering if you are aware of any fixes to this scenario that will enable SSO of an XP client to an OSX Server bound to an AD Domain controller?

SG

External authentication in your scenario will work, that is fully supported.

However SSO will never work and there is no solution for it. True SSO will only work in an all Windows environment starting with the users logging into their Windows machines with the domain account.

Let's not confuse SSO and EA. EA is all about where the accounts are stored and where the authentication is happening. SSO refers to the fact that users can get authenticated without retyping their credentials.

Hi Wim,

I just tried this setup this afternoon and I couldn't get the users to authenticate against the AD (regardless of SSO).

FMS 9 running on OSX 10.5.X bound to AD running on Server 2003 sp 2. FMP clients running XP sp 3. They get authenticated into the Terminal Services but the Filemaker client just won't authenticate.

I tried several settings in FMS to get things going but I must be missing something. When I click on the Test Directory Service Settings it says that it is working fine but users can't authenticate. I've triple checked their profiles and passwords.

If I move the files back to FMS running on a Windows box then the clients can authenticate (SSO doesn't work because FMS was on XP sp3).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Strange that you got no better reply from FMI on this.

The scenario you describe has been tested by me and Steven explicitly as part of our testing for writing the EA tech briefs. So I know it works.

Having said that, mixing platforms certainly adds to the complexities. I've been on many client calls trying to get this to work in mixed environments. Usually it does but sometimes the exact version of the OSX machines involved, how DNS is set up on the network,... all variables that I've seen trip this up.

SSO is one of the most complex things in networking and it relies on a wide variety of technologies. Having multiple vendors with their own interpretation of those technologies and standards doesn't help.

But know it works.

Macintosh Server likely not bound correctly to domain. Do NOT use the automatic search path. Use a specified path instead.

All that said, there are issues every time Apple revs the OS with its breaking the AD plug in configuration. This is particularly true of OS 10.5. Some of this may be due to encryption of passwords across the network. The MacWindows web site has a lot of information on cross platform authentication.

Steven

Oy... you're confusing a few things.

The "Directory Service" tab in the FMS config has nothing to do with EA. That's just for "announcing" your FMS in the directory service. Like putting your phone number in the phone book. That has nothing to do with authenticating users.

I would suspect that the binding from the OSX machine to the AD is not working correctly. Try this:

- on the FMS machine, try to log into the machine with an AD account. If the binding is good that should work because OSX knows where to send the authentication request

Make very sure that no duplicate accounts exist on the OSX machine like they exist in the AD. If you have accounts with the same name on the OSX machine, FMS will stop there and not look at the AD.

I haven't tried this again since last April/May but at that time it didn't work. Gave the exact configuration we had to FileMaker (Australia) who were able to replicate the failure. Have emailed them a few times since and no reply.

Might give it another go with recent OS patches etc and see if i can make it work.

This topic is 5554 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.