something about portals

nowayback

This topic is 8136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone,

I have a portal with following relationship "Name::Customername", when a name is typed in the Name-field, the portal shows all the names that are identical to the name that is typed in the name-field. Is it possible that if i type a piece of a name in the field, the portal shows every name that consists that piece?

For example: If i type '"ROB" in the name-field, the portal shows all the names that consist "ROB" (like ROB, ROBERT, ROBBY,....)

GreetZ&Thanx in advance

Relationships only work with exact matches. If you enter "rob" in the left side match field, only those records with "rob" in the right side match field will show up in a portal. However, if a field has a return-separated list, FileMaker will try to match each line in that field. To accomplish what you want, you could use a calc field for the right side match field:

1 & "

quote:

Originally posted by Thom:

Continue the pattern for up to 20 letters. Be aware that this will substantially increase the size of the file.

I do not know if I would exactly say this. I'd bet that you will not even notice the difference. I have done many fields like this in to many files to count, and I have never noticed a file size difference. Although technically you are correct, and a full 20 character field should add approximately 231 bytes per record to the file, which is pretty insubstantial unless you have millions of records.

quote:

Originally posted by nowayback:

nameMatch(calc,text)=if(isempty(name),1,name)

This way is the Name field is empty the nameMatch will return a 1, if you look at the suggested calc for breaking the name field up, you will see that it starts with 1. So that an empty name will display ALL records rather than zero records in the portal.

This topic is 8136 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.