Server Maintenance This Week. ×

?This file is not modifyable

This topic is 5555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FM server 9 hosting files.

on the host I also have FM9 advanced in case I have to do some tweeking.

Problem is: after compacting a file using FM9Advanced (while FM9Server is quit) the file is accessable and modifiable in FM9 Advanced but when I switch to the FM9Server and access the file from a guest (which has it's own copy of FM9Adv with different license), I can't manipulate inside the relationship window and I can't edit records. I haven't tested all functions but these. When I put back the pre compacted copy of the file into the FM9Server data file, all is well. This occurs with all compacted copies of various files. I end up putting the original back and trashing the compacted file.

I do rename the original file before substituting the compacted file.

How can I compact files periodically and still have them hosted in FM9Server and accessabe and modifiable from hosts?

Thanks to the teaming millions.

OS

Sounds like the permissions on the compacted file are wrong for FM Server.

Use the FMS Admin Assistant to UPLOAD the file back to the server - this will set the permissions correctly

By compacting, I mean the command under File>Save a copy as> Type of copy> compacted.

I have been told, by those more experienced than I, that this is good to do every so often with large files.

The only other way I see to "optimize the system" is to "Optimize" with a disc utility but that is a bit more time consuming.

Any other suggests for keeping the disc tidy and the files fast? If this 'compacting' is not a good idea, why? I understood it removes unneeded disc space.

Thanks.

OS

By compacting, I mean the command under File>Save a copy as> Type of copy> compacted.

This is OK to do. It's the file maintenance compact that is not a good idea[color:red] and should never be used on a file suspected of being damaged.. That feature has, very happily, been removed in FileMaker Pro 10.

The only other way I see to "optimize the system" is to "Optimize" with a disc utility but that is a bit more time consuming.

Do not run disk optimization utilities on FileMaker Server drives that have files on them. Remove the FileMaker Pro files first, then optimize the drive, and then return the files to the drive. If the optimization fails for some reason, the bits of your FileMaker files can be scrambled three ways to Sunday.

Steven

About permissions with FM server

I am trying to compact my files in FMServer9. I have FMAdv10 on the server as well as FM Server9.

Using FmAdv I compact the file. Change the OriginalName_Copy to the OriginalName and place it on the Desk top. I renamed the precompacted original file ( by adding _PreC to the file name) in FMServers Database folder so that my solution knows what file to access. I turn off FMAdv and turn on FMServer and use the upload function to upload it. Now I get the message "Permissions Denied".

OK now I figure I have to use FMServer to "remove" the file before compacting and renaming but want to know if I "remove" it using FMServer will it be exploded into quantum bits or teleported into a parallel universe or will I find it in another folder?

Is there anything else I need to know to keep my 6 file, separation model solution running smoothly and bug free?

Many thanks.

This topic is 5555 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.