Relationship Troubles

This topic is 5530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello

I am having some problems with a relationship and I just can´t seem to get it to work any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached a filemaker file so that you can see what I am talking about.

Basically on the jobs table I have 3 drop down lists: client name- this looks up the name from the client table this in turn fills in the client address, contact name – this looks up the contacts from the contacts table specific to that job and in turn fills in the telephone number, delivery address – this looks up the delivery address from the addresses table.

The problem I have is with the delivery address, when you select the client I want the delivery address to automatically fill in, the same as the company address does. I think the problem is, that as there can be more than one delivery address (filled in via a portal on the clients table) Ideally I would want the first delivery address showing on the jobs table when you select client, then you can use the drop down list to change it if you want to.

I hope this makes sense again any help would be fantastic, I am pulling my hair out.

Thanks

James

test2.zip

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I am not sure what you mean, the delivery address is actually 2 fields on top of each other, the one underneath is set to address on address 2 the one on top just displays the lookup.

Another problem I am having is the way the address is shown in the drop down it has boxes representing the different lines. Is there a better way to display this?

Thanks again for taking time out to help.

James

Edited by Guest

Hi James

the delivery address is actually 2 fields on top of each other, the one underneath is set to address on address 2 the one on top just displays the lookup.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean either! On your Jobs layout you are displaying a related field from the Addresses table, whereas on the 'Jobs Copy' layout I created it uses a lookup to bring that info over to a field in the Jobs table. By using the drop down you can select the address you want to use.

Another problem I am having is the way the address is shown in the drop down it has boxes representing the different lines. Is there a better way to display this?

You could display the address choices in a portal, which would allow you to format them a little nicer?

Thanks again for taking time out to help.

No problem

Matt

Hi thanks for the reply Matt.

Using lookups seem to be the answer, I am new to all this and I havn´t really used them before so I am going to play around with them.

What I was trying to say before is on my version the address field was on top of the foreign key field, one is a dropdown and another just displays the related address.

I will certainly look at using a portal, sometimes I get stuck for ages with one idea and its great being able to get advice from people here.

Thanks again

James

Hi James

Lookups are great when you want related information that should 'stick' even if the parent record changes, for instance you will want to ensure the VAT rate on a completed invoice stays the same regardless of what happens to the VAT rate as a whole.

If you have any more questions, this forum is a great place to ask them.

Regards

Matt

This topic is 5530 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.