FMS 9 crashing on 2003 SP 2

This topic is 5429 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey everyone;

I have a client whose FM Server on 2003 SP 2 has crashed 3 times in the past week. In the first case, reportedly the free space on the C drive went from 20GB to zero. After the second instance we set up better reporting, with perfmon running in the background.

Third incident was this morning. After FMS stopped responding, the following error was written to the log:

"fmserver.exe, version 9.0.3.316, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x0002caa2."

Browsing the perfmon logs, there are jumps in disk write time, total processor time, a big jump in page faults/sec and cache faults/sec in Memory, etc.

This is not a machine I have direct access to (due to company security policy), but they've been very cooperative in terms of providing documentation and setting up monitoring. So I can confirm that either the machine's specs conform to recommendations for FMS 9, or they're good at faking screenshots.

The only quibbles I have are that they run backups and database all on the C drive, but the file itself is 50 MB, and with 20 GB free, I can't imagine FMS would need 19.95 GB free space to maintain a swap file for this. And the machine is VMWare, so there may be issues with that. Though I have to say we have lots of other virtualized clients hand haven't had this particular problem before.

I guess at this point I'm looking for ideas. I've been in touch with my regional SE, but am looking for info anywhere I can get it.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Edited by Guest

It's a direct quote from the error log, so yes. Interesting. How would one get a pre-release of a v3 update, I wonder?

The only other reports I see with this kind of ntdll error go back to last year, issues with the WPE, and that was 9.0.3.316.

We're having a conversation with our SE on Monday, but he has our logs and I'll point this out to him today.

Okay. I'm going to do a little fact checking with the version numbers. I have a chat scheduled with our SE on Monday, and we've moved the solution to an alternate server for the moment.

I'll post back if I have more questions or come up with a resolution.

Thanks, Steve.

Turns out that's a bit of a red herring. I checked two other server installs that I do have access to. While the package version number as reported in Admin Console is:

Examining the fmserver.exe file properties reveals that the .exe version is

I have a feeling that individual components may have a different version number stamped even if part of a later package version bundle.

So when ntdll reports a fault from fmserver.exe, it makes more sense that it's reporting this version number. To me, anyway.

• 4 months later...

We have a client who is experiencing weekly crashes on Windows Server 2003 with the log showing either ntdll.dll or OmniORB4.dll.

They are running the latest FM Server 10.

This topic is 5429 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.