Same File Name / Different Folders

This topic is 5289 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm wondering if it's OK for me to have files with the same name, running at the same time, but placed in separate folders.

It's an inventory management system for graphic designers. There are two companies, but I develop the program in parallel for both companies. The solution has a data file and an image file.

Right now, every time is do an update, I have to do the importing, then go into change the name of the files and change the file references. This is a bit cumbersome. It would be easier if I could just run the importing and place each system under its own folder.

So, instead of this.....

Data/OneDataFile.fp7

Data/OneImageFile.fp7

Data/TwoDataFile.fp7

Data/TwoImageFile.fp7

I'd implement this....

Data/CompanyOne/DataFile.fp7

Data/CompanyOne/ImageFile.fp7

Data/CompanyTwo/DataFile.fp7

Data/CompanyTwo/ImageFile.fp7

Are there any drawbacks to doing this?

Thanks,

Michael

if your using FileMaker advance you can use the Developer Utilities under Tools menu to RENAME your files in your solution to companyA_data.fp7 companyA_image.fp7 companyB_data.fp7 companyB_image.fp7 and then revisit this process once your ready to deploy, or just leave the company name or initials include w/ the file name.

This process will update all internal file references to the associated files.

• 8 months later...

Only one copy of a file with a specific name can be opened at a time. The simplest option would be to use the developer tool to change the names of both sets of files to include the company name.

Steven

That's not true when the files are running on different servers, we have duplicate files running on servers and both can be opened fine.

May be an issue when they are both running on the same server though.

This topic is 5289 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.