Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Unable to insert remote file

This topic is 5560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I'm trying to set up an image database built in Filemaker Pro 10 and hosted on a machine running Filemaker Pro 10 server. The images are to be hosted on a second machine (call it the "image host"), and inserted as references into the database. The problem is that I cannot insert images into the database file, either directly or as a reference. This is true whether I'm trying to insert the image from the database server machine or one of the client machines.

Actually, none of the computers in my LAN can insert an image into any database unless the image is located on the hard drive of the machine being used to insert the image.

If I try to insert an image as a reference, I get: ""?" could not be opened. (Not Found)"

If I try to insert the image into the database file, I get ""filename.jpg" could not be opened. (Not Found)"

If I place the images on the server's hard drive, I can insert them into the database, but client machines remotely accessing the database cannot view them (the container field displays "The file cannot be found: filename.jpg"

File sharing is enabled on the image host machine, and there does not appear to be a permissions issue.

Filemaker technical support was unable to reproduce the problem, which leads me to believe this is a network problem and not a Filemaker problem. It could also be a very basic newbie error on my part. Nevertheless, I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you all for site that has been very helpful to me when I was still in "lurker" mode.

Best regards,

Jason

• Newbies

Mr_Vodka,

Yes, they all have the same network path.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, here's what I did to answer your question:

I connected to the image host from the database server as well as the clients. I opened "Get info" for an image on the image host. Regardless of which computer I used to access the image host, the "Where:" and "Server:" addresses were exactly the same.

-Jason

I am not sure if I am following you.

I meant is the network sharing path the exact same on each client's computer that will access the files.

This topic is 5560 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.