Cross-Database logins

This topic is 5520 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need a little clarification on how Filemaker handles users moving between databases.

For our system, a Main Menu is used to allow users access to the various databases they need. Each user has his or her own login name and password for this main menu, and once there, they can click on links that run scripts to open other databases as needed. They have accounts on these databases as well, and it usually logs them in to those databases seamlessly behind the scenes.

But not always. For our order entry, users enter the order, and when they are finished, the order is printed and copied to another database that does not allow changes, just for record keeping and reprinting if needed. Often times, when the system tries to open this database to copy the information, it asks for the user's name and password again, even though both the order entry and the order backup databases have the same users and passwords enabled.

I was under the impression that Filemaker automatically logged into databases as long as the same username and password were used for both, but I may be wrong. Could someone please clarify how FM does this, and maybe help with this login issue I'm having? Thanks a lot.

I was under the impression that Filemaker automatically logged into databases as long as the same username and password were used for both

Correct. And they must match exactly (the passwords). Something else may be happening here. Check the Account structure carefully.

Steven

This topic is 5520 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.