Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Strange "Manage Database" Problem

This topic is 5493 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The database in question is not overly large.. less than 2,000 records, about 50 fields and 40 scripts. No outside data sources; no web involved, etc.. Basically used on one Mac to track membership and services including invoicing for a Mac user group.

It was originally written in FM Pro 4 or 5 and has migrated up the ladder without any problems. With one exception, it continues to work just fine in FM Pro 10. The exception is when one chooses Database in the File>Manage function. Accounts.., Value Lists, Layouts, Scripts and External Data all pop up immediately. But choosing Database brings this database to its knees.

Making that choice results in the good old spinning ball interspersed with the command/dot. If the Forced Quit Applications window is open, one can see it cycling in and out of Not Responding. Up until today, it would eventually produce the Manage Database window taking on average several minutes to do so. As of today, no luck. I let it run for 30 minutes with no open.

Other notes: There are no FM Pro 10 Only features in said database. It is only happening with this particular database. In all of the roughly two dozen active databases I'm running with FM Pro 10, this window opens right away. In this particular database, if I open it in FM Pro 9, the Manage Database window opens quickly (5 - 10 seconds). Before trying it in 9, I was thinking that maybe the Field listing (assuming there is a file buried deep in FM Pro) was corrupted. That was just a guess on my part.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be ailing this file and how I might fix it? TIA to anyone who can help.

Have you tried using the new recovery features of FM10? Try saving a copy as compact. Also you probably will want to make a copy of the file first as a backup.

Check the file references (external data sources) and clean up the references.

Make a copy and reduce all the references to 'file:filename" and see if that helps.

Otherwise give the process time to finish -- overnight if necessary -- and see what happens.

I did not migrate from 7 to 10. I migrated from 4 or 5 to 5.5 to 6 to 7 to 8 to 8.5 to 9 to 10 with this database. I don't know about new recovery functions in 10 but yes I have tried recovery. And I have done save as- compact and save as - clone. I should have said so earlier. I also didn't say that this affects anything that needs to consult the fields defs such as doing an export.

I meant pre fp7 files to 10. Have you tried this on another machines with FM installed? It may be that your file is toast but perhaps you can save your data. :(

Actually, I doubt that the file is toast. If I open the file with FM9 or with FM9 Advanced, it comes up with the Fields listing in the usual manner (a few seconds churn then the list appears) and export is perfectly normal. Data updates just fine. All scripts work just fine. I am reasonably sure that if I go back to working with this file on a daily basis using 9 instead of 10, I wouldn't need to have this conversation. :(

I have a theory that goes like this: Buried deep in each FMP file, I'm thinking that there has to be a hidden text file or perhaps even a FMP file within the visible FMP file. Whichever it is, there has to be something that stores the all the field names with the set characteristics, what is switched on or off, etc... All files of any kind have headers. Since my condition happens immediately with FMP 10, I am thinking that there is something in the header of this one single file that FMP 10 is finding disagreeable to the point that it cannot get past it. Do you think that holds water? And, if so, any ideas for repair?

In this particular database, if I open it in FM Pro 9, the Manage Database window opens quickly (5 - 10 seconds). Before trying it in 9, I was thinking that maybe the Field listing (assuming there is a file buried deep in FM Pro) was corrupted. That was just a guess on my part.

5-10 seconds seems like a long time to open Manage Databases. Just my 2 cents though.

This topic is 5493 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.