Clients IT Guy quit! Client doesn't know master password

This topic is 5448 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey Guys,

The subject line says it all!

I have a new client who would like me to do some work on their system, but they do not have the master password. Their IT guy, who quit..or was fired I don't know the story, never gave them the master passwords for the files he had created while working for them.

I'm aware that FileMaker did an excellent job encrypting the files...Is there a way to get the old password or reset the existing password.

P.S. They tell me the IT guy just disappeared and they are not able to contact him.

Thanks for looking/replying

Chris

They don't have the master password for the files, right? Not something related to the server?

Since the password isn't stored in the file, you cannot extract it. There are tools that will break into the file and overwrite a new password, but they damage the file.

Try some of the obvious items, such as "Admin" with no password and "Admin", "Admin" as a starter.

Steven

Thanks for the reply Steven. I've researched the various 3rd party apps that can crack the passwords, but I'd rather not.

I have tried the obvious passwords, but it wasn't that easy.

Do you or any other FM Forum members have any ideas, or am I out of luck?

Thanks

Aside from the obvious effort to track down the errant IT person, I really don't have any suggestions for you. This seems more a case of security policy failure (viz. a lack of such a policy) than it does a technical issue.

Let me mull this over a bit, and if I have any other ideas, I'll post them.

[color:red]BTW, all this actually assumes that the company in question actually has rights to the intellectual property in these files. They almost certainly own the data, but they may need to establish that they also own the IP.

Steven

This topic is 5448 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.