FM Server access administration - help!

Mr Nic

This topic is 8605 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

FM Server 5, running on an NT box with SP 4, a single FM5 file sitting under it.

Remote access installed on client, admin password for FMServer & FM5 file is the same...

... So how come I can't modify the access priveleges. The only option I have is " change password"

This makes any development very difficult as I have a number of different "groups" with variety of access requirements.

Service console 'appears' to be operating fine but this is the only other place I can see where the problem is.

No. of concurrent users is less than 10 out max of 22.

Can't get around having to work off the main file as a copy and import content as a regular operation. Apart from stability & Speed improvements what is the point of running the Server application.

Any assistance on this is most welcome and

Thanks in Advance.

Nic English

------------------

Nic English,

Technical Officer,

Musuem & Art Gallery of the Northern Territory.

You can only change access priv, define fields, define relationships, modify layout when you are the host of the file or the only guest of a file hosted by server.

If you are still making alot of changes to the db I would suggest two sets of your dbs. One live on the server and a development set, on your machine, that you would be making structural changes.

I hope this clears things up.

Beltro

Thanks for the response.

I've heard from FMP since posting this and learnt that what you say is the case.

Though I've yet to get it let me change access priveleges while under the server, whether anyone else is on or not! Seems like parrallel dbases are the only option whic is a bit of a "fudge" and risks missing data updates the only other alternative is shuting down the server 'service'. Another fudge, not very impressed with the "remote admin" capacity.

I'm going back to the documentation as I hav e yet find this mentioned there.

quote:

Originally posted by beltro:

You can only change access priv, define fields, define relationships, modify layout when you are the host of the file or the only guest of a file hosted by server.

If you are still making alot of changes to the db I would suggest two sets of your dbs. One live on the server and a development set, on your machine, that you would be making structural changes.

I hope this clears things up.

Beltro

------------------

Nic English,

Technical Officer,

Musuem & Art Gallery of the Northern Territory.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 8605 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.