user limit exceeded

This topic is 8608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have an FMP Mac server with web-based (Home Page HTML) access for surveys, grades, etc. Lately users have been getting occasional errors when submitting: "user limit exceeded. The maximum number of licensed users are connected." I can restart FileMaker and it is then OK, or it corrects itself with time.

Apparently the IP guest limit is set at 10. I assume this is the cause. How is this set and how can it be increased?

Any thoughts?

quote:

Originally posted by Ronald Zellner:

I have an FMP Mac server with web-based (Home Page HTML) access for surveys, grades, etc. Lately users have been getting occasional errors when submitting: "user limit exceeded. The maximum number of licensed users are connected." I can restart FileMaker and it is then OK, or it corrects itself with time.

Apparently the IP guest limit is set at 10. I assume this is the cause. How is this set and how can it be increased?

Any thoughts?

Filemaker 5 can only host 10 unique IPs in any given 24hr period. You need to get Filemaker Unlimited which allows you to host an unlimited number if IPs.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

• Newbies

What do you mean by "only host 10 unique IPs in any given 24hr period". I am not talking about anyone connecting to the data base, but simply using a submit button to send in a survey from a web page (creating a new record). Does this mean I can't receive more than 10 different surveys in one day? I have not experienced this problem in the past. Is this also true of FMPro 4.0?

It means that FMP5 vanilla refuses web connections from more than 10 different IP numbers over a rolling 24 hour period. If ten people (each on a different computer) connect to the server then no more can connect in until 24 hours have rolled by.

No, FileMaker Pro 4 did NOT work this way. Which explains why so many people are still using and developing for FMP4. I am. Apparently people are (legally) selling their surplus copies of FMP4 on Ebay and making quite a few bucks.

To get over the 10 user limit with FMP5 you'll need to purchase the "unlimited" version, which is significantly more expensive.

quote:

Originally posted by Ronald Zellner:

What do you mean by "only host 10 unique IPs in any given 24hr period". I am not talking about anyone connecting to the data base, but simply using a submit button to send in a survey from a web page (creating a new record). Does this mean I can't receive more than 10 different surveys in one day?

Each person who hits that "submit" button is one unique IP, so no more than 10 different computers can submit surveys in an 24hr period.

You need Filemaker Unlimited. One of the bad things about FMP 5.0

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

This topic is 8608 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.