LOSING CONNECTION THRU TCP IP

This topic is 8606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi:

I have FMP Server on Mac running TCPIP through a Cable modem. I have a satellite office connecting through tcp-ip to the server through DSL and after a few moments the connection is lost. Can someone offer any reasons for this continued drop in connection?

Thank you

------------------

David Roth

Gulfshore Media, Inc

quote:

Originally posted by rothdavid:

Hi:

I have FMP Server on Mac running TCPIP through a Cable modem. I have a satellite office connecting through tcp-ip to the server through DSL and after a few moments the connection is lost. Can someone offer any reasons for this continued drop in connection?

Not with this limited amount of information.

Can you make any other connection consistantly? Such as Timbuktu, file sharing, web serving, etc?

Who is the cable service provider? Do they allow connections from the outside in? Any bandwidth limitations?

Does the inside computer lockup or anything? Is it being used for anything else? Have you tried doing a clean install of the OS, with as small an active extension set as possible?

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

Kurt:

Comcast is the provider, they have opened port 5003 TCP and we do have ability to take incoming tcp / web traffic. The only traffic accepted it to the computer with FMPServer on it.

Naples office houses DSL Service at 3m /512, fastest they offer, about 20 computers on the network using the dsl service to check email etc..

I don't have any other way of making a dedicated connection at the moment. I don't have timbuktu or am I doing any file sharing.

It appeared fine on Monday, everyone said it was working fine but alas, this morning, they are losing the connection "lost communcation with the host" the same as they were last week.

Until I get a reply regarding bandwidth size and ability to increase from comcast, I will try the reinstallation of the MAC OS, lose all the other apps (used to be a production machine with web dev software and Graphic design software such as Photoshop, Quark and Illustrator. Is that really a large issue in performance?

Respectfully,

David Roth

Beltro:

Yes the server has a static IP address assigned to it. Comcast has also routed the port directly to that IP Address so that would be the only computer people on the outside could get too.

I know UDP is blocked on Comcast Side but I dont know about Sprints DSL Service. I will check into that as well.

------------------

David Roth

Gulfshore Media, Inc

quote:

Originally posted by rothdavid:

Sprint ADSL service is DHCP and does not support static IP Addresses. Therefore they cannot open any ports on the Naples Office end.

Not having a static IP basically kills any kind of networking like this.

------------------

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

Sprint ADSL service is DHCP and does not support static IP Addresses. Therefore they cannot open any ports on the Naples Office end.

Does this mean that this effort in networking has been twarted until I can find another provider in Naples Florida that offers Service with Static IP addresses so that we can then open port 5003 on their end?

Respectfully,

------------------

David Roth

Gulfshore Media, Inc

This topic is 8606 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.